Dealing with insurances

Dealing with insurances

You'll have to deal with two insurances. Your own health insurance will send a form asking whether the surgery was the result of an accident, and if so, the name of the driver's insurance. My health insurance was obviously getting ready to reclaim the cost.

The more difficult part was dealing with the driver's liability insurance. I figured I'd have no chance without a lawyer. (If you need one in Berlin, try Axel Bosselmann, tel. 8811070.) The lawyer first requested the police report from the police, contacted the witnesses to get more information (without success), and announced claims towards the driver's insurance. He also asked for the doctor's reports, copies of all documents exchanged, and receipts for taxicab rides and other expenses. It took him months to get the insurance to approve the claim.

Rule 5: get help from a lawyer.

Well, I am not sure what I would have done if the situation had been less obvious because I won't be able to reclaim the lawyer's fees from anybody. Still, the money I got so far made the rather low lawyer's fees an excellent investment. I didn't get the bill yet but I was told to expect between DM 250 and 400 (US$ 140..230). Lawyers' fees are regulated in Germany, and working on a contingency basis is not allowed.

Eight months later, the insurance (Allianz, btw) paid DM 6000 (3000 Euro, US$ 3750) as an advance on damages (for my injuries, inexplicably there was no significant damage to the bicycle). I did not agree to settling the claims until at least the second surgery. I was told that sometimes injuries cause problems many years later, and I should not finally settle my claim.

See also "criminal Trial"